Be a Garcia!

 This past week I read something called, "A Message to Garcia". I had never heard of it or the story before but I quite liked it. It basically tells the story of a man named Garcia who is given a mission. Garcia, after given the mission, doesn't ask questions or for clarifications but goes and completes the mission. How many of us are like Garcia where we just go and complete as "mission" or task without further instruction? I, unfortunately have to say that I do not and maybe that's why this story resonated with me so much. 

I think when I am given something to do, I want to make sure that I do it well and that I do it right. So I then start asking questions. I don't think asking questions is necessarily a bad thing, but tedious questions that could have been answered with a little bit of thought, are not appealing. I would like to take what I read to heart and be able to complete tasks as much on my own as I possibly can. This not only would bring more confidence in myself but I think it shows the employer (who whoever it may be) that you're not a time waster. That you can get things done on your own without your hand being held. That's a big deal. 

I'd also like to try to teach my children this same application because I think it is such a good skill to learn. I think it would be helpful to them not only in their eventual careers but I think it would be helpful with school, sports, relationships, etc. Instead of giving them an answer to an easy question, I'd like to try to have them think through it first to see what they can come up with on their own. 

Comments